Week Fifteen; Calvin and Hobbes

This little comic is so captivating. It's funny, innocent, clever, witty, intelligent, fast pace you can look at the strip for sixty seconds, reread the whole strip and leave in a better mood. I especially love how defined the two worlds are between the adults and Calvin. He is obviously a child with child like thought processes and the adults have their reasons as adults usually do, but unlike most depictions of children Calvin is actually very intelligent in an adult manner. The questions he asks, the thoughts he wrestles with, and just the realization and understanding that yes he has these questions but he doesn't always have the mental capacity or life experience to answer those questions. Where that would drive a lot of us crazy he is ok with the little answers he is capable of conjuring and since no one is able to answer him or thinks he's beneath knowing the answers that's where he is content to stay. I love too how wild his mind runs with Hobbes. Little scenes where Hobbes is making too much noise but Calvin is the only one who can see him, or Calvin is being forced to take a bath and he has to battle the suds monster. Somehow, I relate to Calvin. I feel like I've experienced his little moments of childish imagination even now. All the time in fact. Perhaps it's due to the fact my life is in the arts and imagination is key but for some reason I can't see myself being the only one. Especially since Calvin and Hobbes exists. He feels like the adults who never grow up. A mature understanding of a lot of things but sometimes with a child like way of finding the answers or even just a different way of looking at things period. And I don't really mind. I'm proud to count myself as a Calvin sometimes. Never getting old, and always willing to let the imagination run wild occasionally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Eleven; WHY I HATE SATURN